Zerona-Z6 works by utilizing the Erchonia’s patented low level laser technology to emulsify (liquify) adipose tissue (fat cells) which then releases into the interstitial space. Our bodies then naturally process and remove the discarded substances (fat, triglycerides, toxins, etc.) via the lymphatic system.
Since the fat cells are now smaller, we are thinner, but without killing any of the cells (which is bad as the fat cells are part of our endocrine system).
The Zerona-Z6 was proven through a double-blind, randomized, multi-site, and placebo controlled study in which clients averaged a loss of 3.52* inches compared to the placebo group that lost only a half an inch.
In Erchonia research, the control groups use red LEDs, so the differences between laser and LEDs is significant. If you're researching and shopping around, be aware of that distinction.
*Individual results vary
While the Zerona Z6 laser is a considered a type of body contouring, it is vastly different in mechanism, efficacy, and side-effects from all others on the market. Many body contouring procedures are surgical involving all of the risks that entails. Also, some freeze or heat tissue, doing damage (sometimes permanent) to vital cells (yes, including fat cells, we need them). Side effects of OTHER procedures include frostbite, numbness, tingling, burning, and pain. Other methods are temporary, where Zerona is lasting. With Zerona you don't need to add exercise, supplements, or change your diet. All you need to do is stay hydrated and don't add more calories than you had before you began.
The Zerona has ZERO side effects. Best case scenario, it will work as promised; worst case scenario, it will do absolutely nothing. Here are the advantages of the Zerona over all other methods of body sculpting or body contouring:
- Non-invasive (A flashlight aimed at your body would cause more harm since it generates heat.)
- No adverse side effects
- No down time
- No tissue damage
- No heating or freezing the tissue (so no problems that those treatments bring)
- No recovery time
- Long term or permanent improvement
To be clear, the Zerona low level laser is NOT any of the following (this is not an exhaustive list):
Cryolipolysis (CoolSculpting) – Fat freezing
Electromagnetic Energy (EMsculpt)
Radiofrequency lipolysis (Vanquish, TrueSculpt, Exilis, Velashape)
Laser lipolysis (SculpSure)
Ultrasound (Ultrashape, Liposonix)
Cellulite Vacuum Cup (with and without massagers: Body Lyft, Cellulift Max, Vacuum RF)
Lypossage Cellulite and Body Contouring
Are there any risks? Is this safe? Are there any side effects? How much down time afterwards can I expect?
Zero risk, zero adverse side effects**, zero down time.
Research for over 50 years shows cold laser to be safe and effective.
**If you are on cholesterol lowering medication you will need to have your physician monitor your progress as there is anecdotal evidence that the Zerona Z6 raises good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol.
All you need to do is stay hydrated. If you maintain your diet and exercise levels, this will work.
Since your body eliminates excess fat through the lymphatic system, anything you can do to support that will help. Hence the hydration. Movement is also helpful, even just simple things like stretching and walking. Some people use supplements and herbal teas to augment lymphatic cleansing, but they are not necessary, nor do we recommend anything specific. If you want to include those things, please see your naturopath, acupuncturist, or nutritionist for the best way for you to do that.
Depending on your genetics, body type, and overall health, you will eliminate the fat the way your body usually processes fat. The clinical research supports a minimum of 6 sessions. If more are needed, it's safe and effective to continue immediately, or take a break and continue at a later time. Some people notice an immediate loss, some notice changes weeks after the laser sessions are over.
Erchonia (developer and manufacturer of Zerona Z6) recommends:
- For BMI under 25, begin by receiving 6 sessions.
- For BMI of 25-35, begin by receiving 9 treatments.
- For BMI of 35 or more, begin by receiving 12 treatments.
- Additional sessions can always safely be added, and you can safely stop at any time.
Since the Zerona promotes loss of actual fat and NOT just water weight, the effects are sustainable, presuming you maintain a calorie-neutral diet proceeding the treatments.
According to the research that Erchonia has done, the longest followup study was 9 months post treatment, and the results held up. You can expect that as long as you don’t increase your caloric intake, the results will hold.
This information is based on averages, individual results will vary:
- In clinical trials, clients lost and average of over 3.5 inches in just 6, 40 minute weekly treatments. (Total inches measured, not inches in just one place.) As previously stated, individual results will vary.
- Follow-up studies tracked people for 9 months, and everyone had maintained the inch loss at that point.
- Many people notice results immediately, while others notice that weight and inch loss is still happening after the sessions are completed. This is due to variants in body type, age, gender, general health, hydration, and how well your body's lymphatic system processes fat. If you have a sense of how weight loss works for you with dieting, you may find that the results follow a similar pattern.
Since everyone has a different body type and we're all different make-ups of chemical soup, it's impossible to predict exactly what type of results to expect. Additionally, you MUST maintain a calorie neutral diet proceeding the treatments and stay hydrated for it to be effective. This treatment will not erase calories from a heavy meal or keep you from gaining weight from overeating. Additionally, doing whatever you can to maintain a healthy lymphatic system will only add to efficacy.
Since the Zerona Z6 only targets subcutaneous fat, people with more of that are more likely to notice a larger change than people with more deep visceral or muscular fat, as well as people with small areas of fat. Remember, this is for targeting areas of subcutaneous fat that are resistant to change through diet and exercise.
The average session is 40 minutes for the laser, and then about 20-40 minutes for massage. Please plan on being at the office for 2 hours to avoid over scheduling and rushing.
No. The Zerona emulsifies only the subcutaneous fat, the fat just below the skin. The visceral fat is not impacted by the Zerona laser.
However, Erchonia (the company that makes Zerona) is working on FDA clearance for a laser that DOES treat obesity. This will be done only through physicians. If you are interested in this, please let Jenny know and she will put you in touch with the people to talk to about it. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You will be in a private room with your practitioner, just like you would be for a massage.
- Your practitioner (a Licensed Massage Therapist) will go over some basic information with you including answering any questions you may have, and discussing your goals.
- At your first session your practitioner will take your measurements and possibly weigh you as well. We will also take photos (without faces) so that you will have before and after pictures. We can do this on your phone or camera if you would like.
- You will undress to undergarments so as to allow skin exposure to the laser in the areas you want treated. It's best to wear undergarments with the least amount of fabric to give the laser better exposure to skin.
- You will be on the table face up for 20 minutes, and face down for 20 minutes. We have a very comfortable massage table with a face cradle so that your neck will not be twisted while face down. (If you are only targeting one small area the time will be less.)
- When you're on the table receiving the laser treatment, you can chat with the practitioner, listen to an audiobook or music, check email, or just zone out. The choice is yours.
- After the laser portion, your practitioner (a Licensed Massage Therapist) will perform a type of flushing massage which is a combination of manual lymphatic drainage massage and Swedish massage. This is to maximize the impact of the laser on the emptying fat cells. This will happen in the same room, on the same table.
- When the massage portion is completed, your practitioner will leave the room allowing you get dressed.
- Stay hydrated
- Don't add calories
- If you want, do supportive things for your lymphatic system.
In order for your lymphatic system to flush the newly released fat cell contents, you MUST stay hydrated (as you should be doing anyway - 1/2 - 1 gallon of water per day). This will ensure that your lymphatic system can do its job most effectively.
Maintain a zero-calorie change. That means to just keep eating the way you have been. Don't think of this as a reason to eat a pint of ice cream. This treatment does not preemptively treat overeating.
If you stay hydrated and keep your food intake the same as it was before the laser treatments, you will have a better chance for the best results. You do not need to exercise or diet for this to work. If you do diet or exercise, you will notice more changes, but they will not all be due to the Zerona. Remember, this treatment is for the areas that do NOT respond to diet or exercise. The Zerona is part of a healthy lifestyle, another tool in your toolbox.
While we are still working out the details, yes, there will be some amount of money refunded if you feel the results are not what you expected based on your intake appointment, assuming that you did your homework. You will be required to receive the initial 6 sessions, plus 2 weeks, before requesting a refund.
Regardless of what you read about the Zerona and the research outcomes, results do vary, and some people are not good candidates. You also MUST stay hydrated and calorie neutral during and following your treatments or the results will not work, or will not last. During your intake appointment this will all be spelled out.
We have not yet determined the amount of refund if you are not satisfied with the results. Please discuss with Jenny if you have any concerns.
Cold laser is a type of low intensity light therapy that has been around since 1967. Over 2500 clinical studies have demonstrated that LLLT is safe and effective in providing relief from pain, reducing inflammation, assisting in tissue repair, promoting fat loss, and more.
Cold laser, also called Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT) or Photobiomodulation (PBM), does not either heat or cool the tissue. Since there is no thermal change to the tissue with the application of cold laser, there are no adverse side effects.
Its effectiveness is due to the biochemical changes that the light triggers within the cells, activating the mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cell), in a similar manner as the process of photosynthesis in plants.
The Zerona received its original FDA clearance in 2010 with additional FDA clearances added to this laser over the last few years. The newer clearances only added what we can prove it does. It has been in wide use since 2010.
If you really want to geek out about this, check out our "geek out" link.